Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy

So, when it comes to cooking to accomodate my diet, I pretty much make it up as I go along. Hence the following being approximations. I am a "taste it as I cook it" kind of person.

I've been harboring some chicken fried steak meat in my freezer for a while and finally decided to make another go at gluten free chicken fried steaks, not that the first attempt was a bad one, but there is always room for improvement.

So, first, I mixed an egg and about 1/4 cup of almond milk in a bowl and in another, I mixed about 1/4 cup to 1/2 a cup of Namaste Perfect Flour Blend with fresh ground salt, fresh ground pepper, and about 1/2 a teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Table Blend.  I do use organic butter, but that is the only dairy I am allowed.

I melted about a tablespoon of butter and some coconut oil in the frying pan. Then I coated the meat first in the flour blend on both sides, then the egg mixture, then in the flour mixture again. The heat was on medium-medium high then I turned it down to low a little at a time as the crust browned so that the meat could cook with out burning the crust. While my meat was cooking, I made my gravy.

I started with about a tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan, then whisked in about 2 TBS of Namaste PFB and salt and pepper. I slowly added almond milk, a little at a time, whisking it ao that the clumps became smooth. I used about a cup to a cup and a half of almond milk, whisking it over medium heat. I use about 1/4 tsp of baking soda to give it that country gravy taste. Always use a whisk, not a spoon when making gravy. Just salt and pepper to taste and remember that gravy thickens as it cools so its ok if its a LITTLE on the runny side as it will thicken. 

When your meat is done, put it ob the plate and smoother with gravy for complete, Texan YUMMINESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment